Bed bugs are small, brownish, and flat in appearance. They feed on the blood of humans and warm blooded animals. Adults are typically 3/16″ long. Young bed bugs (nymphs) are smaller and lighter in color. These bugs do not fly or jump, but they can crawl over floors, walls, ceilings, and similar surfaces. Females lay eggs in secluded places. Bed bugs are mainly active at night.
- We will perform 2 treatments, typically 2 weeks apart.
General Treatment Information:
- Do not re-enter the location for at least 3 hours.
- Upon re-entry, ventilate your home with fresh air. Open windows. Turn AC/heat
- Most insects will die in the carpet or furniture. Please vacuum all crack and crevice edges and fabric areas throughout the area where bed bugs were located within 24 hours and on a daily basis for a 2 week period. Dispose of the bag immediately.
- Have the carpets professionally steam cleaned 12 days from the initial chemical treatment at a high heat temperature to help with the sanitation conditions. Please remember all bedding and clothing must be washed and placed in a dryer on high heat for at least 10 minutes. Keep all clean clothing and linen bagged throughout the treatment process until unit is cleared of pests.
- It is also important to clean all luggage, beds, couches, pillows, stuffed animals, fake and real furs, etc. Anything you spend time on needs to be cleaned as these bugs love to travel. DO NOT ADD ANY items to your residence prior to unit being cleared of all pests.
- Wash off your countertops, food service areas and utensil storage areas before using or placing these products back in their place.
- Please remember that your cooperation is vital. Due to the nature of these bugs, all steps must be followed to ensure complete eradication.
How to Prepare:
- Place all open food products in the refrigerator or the oven. Remove all food-related items from the kitchen counters and place in a cupboard or on the table and cover. (i.e. utensils, coffeepot and toaster.)
- Have maintenance remove all outlet covers prior to service date and replace them after initial treatment. Also, please turn off all gas pilot lights prior to service.
- Place all personal hygiene items throughout the unit in a sealed plastic bag (i.e. toothbrushes). Bag and clean all clothing and linen throughout the unit. Clean all washable items and place in dryer on high heat for at least 10 minutes. Keep clean clothing bagged throughout the cleaning process until the unit is cleared of pests.
- Pull all furnishings away from the walls (no less than 2 feet for treatment), but do not remove any furnishings from infected rooms. Stand all mattresses and box springs up against the wall in infested room; remove black felt from the bottom of the box springs, sofas and chairs.
- Remove all items from closets, dresser and night stand drawers and have them bagged for cleaning prior to initial treatment. Also, please stack empty drawers for treatment, but do not remove them from the room. Keep clean items bagged until infestation is cleared. DO NOT PLACE ANY ITEMS ON COUCHES, CHAIRS, OR BEDS TO ENSURE THESE ITEMS CAN BE TREATED.
- Use hand-brush attachment to vacuum up most of the dead and live bed bugs. Vacuum mattresses and box springs (especially along seams and folds), upholstered furniture (especially along seams and folds), and behind drapes. Also, vacuum the floor completely. After vacuuming remove bag from the vacuum, tie it tightly and place it in a plastic bag. Then remove it from the premises ASAP. Remember, really infested furniture/bedding may have to be completely discarded at the residents’ expense.
- All pets and pet food must be removed. Fish tanks must be tightly covered with plastic. Air pumps and external filters must be unplugged for a minimum of 6 hours. Pumps and filters must also be placed in a bag and sealed. It is advised that if you have birds, pet insects, or reptiles of any kind that they stay in another location for 2 days if possible after the service.
- Windows must be closed at the A/C or heat and any fans must be turned off during the service. Upon re-entry, the windows may be re-opened and the A/C or heat may be turned back on.
- Residents must vacate the unit immediately when service begins and for at least 3 hours after the service is complete.
- Any unapproved products/chemicals that are applied by the resident/community will VOID all service and inspection warranties. Please contact a John Jr.’s representative with any questions.
- No new items (luggage, furniture, etc.) should be introduced into the unit until infestation is cleared.